Friday, March 4, 2011

Himalaya Bound

Some of you may have gathered from my teasers the last few days that I'm planning on doing something next year that I believe will be truly life-changing. I've waited to actually divulge any details until I recieved finite confirmation that the opportunity was available to me and also so I could tell my family first. I feel they wouldn't be very appreciatve if I told all my friends about a choice like this before them : )

I've been wanting for a long time to go on a mission trip, for all of the same reasons you yourself have gone on or found value in them. My problem was not ever being able to figure out when and how it would be accomplished (basically the same problem everyone has with those sorts of things). Well, time and resources have been made available to me and I'm grasping the chance while I have it.

Next February, I will be moving to India. For five months. I will be going by myself and not with a specific group or missionary team, though there will be an ever-changing community at the place I will be living. I am going through International Volunteer Headquarters (IVHQ), a reputable, affordable and high-quality organization that sends over 3,000 people abroad to help others annually. This is not a Christian/mission organization, though that detail doesn't matter a whole bunch to me. I am a Christian no matter what organization I work through, and I show that through my words, actions and demeanor. Each and every time you interact with someone is a mission trip, if you think about it. This is no different; just a new group of people to serve! And I'm going to be serving children. I'll be doing childcare work: engaging with street kids and those from low income families while their parents work during the day and teaching some english, helping them learn basic life skills and lessons and really just caring for them by spending active time with  them.

I'll be moving to the northeastern city of Palampur, the tea leaf capital of northern India. It's located right at the foot of the Himalayas with beautiful scenery and, of course, rich culture. The home of the Dalai Llama and the seat of  the exiled government of Tibet, Dharamsala, is only about 20 miles away. As I mentioned, I'll be leaving at the end of February. I could have chosen any length of time to stay over there, from two weeks to a year if I wanted. I'm going to volunteer in the childcare program for four months, and then spend a couple of weeks backpacking accross the southern parts of India and come back to the States towards the end of June.

And that's my plan! I'm extremely excited about this opportunity, and I'm glad to be able to share it with all of you. God has truly been amazing to me, and I can't but marvel at the way He puts all of the pieces in order when you never expect them to. Since I'll accomplish my AA at the end of this year, I will be at a natural stopping point before transferring to finish my BA, which I will do when I return for fall semester next year. I am also blessed to have a full time job, and I will be moving back to my parents' house (sharing a room with Micah! He's absolutely stoked) at the end of April when my lease is up. With the money I will save from this and working full time, I am able to pay for almost the whole trip, all extraneous monetary endeavors applied, without any personal financial strain. Through careful financial planning, I will not be short of my estimated by more than five hundred or so dollars.The organization will provide fundraising opportunities that should afford the rest of what I will not be able to make alone, so I'm not really worried about that whole aspect of things. I value all of you friends and only request support in the form of prayers and encouragement as I undertake this endeavor. If you decide to donate money to my cause, I would of course not refuse you but do not, by any means, feel it obligatory.  Your prayers and well-wishes are more than enough to reaffirm my mission and provide the emotional support I need.

I will post more updates as I get more information on the trip and everything else. As I only just got approved, I have not yet recieved my information packet but when I do I'll clue you in.

India, here I come!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment